Parent-Teacher Association (PTA)
Shepherd Leadership Organizations
Studies show that parental involvement plays a significant role in student achievement and performance. A strong parent group can make a tremendous difference in how a school functions. At Shepherd, we encourage all our families to join the Shepherd Elementary School Parent Teacher Association (SES PTA). It is a wonderful way to get to know the other great families in our school community. In addition, it serves as vehicle for you to voice your opinion on important issues affecting your child’s learning environment.
To be a self-sustaining organization capable of providing resources needed to help Shepherd Elementary School achieve its social, cultural and academic goals.
To ensure that Shepherd Elementary becomes a top 5 school within DCPS by providing programs, resources and activities that will enhance the instructional experience and promote academic excellence.
The role of the PTA is to:
- Encourage membership and participation by all families, teachers and other interested community members
- Provide timely communications throughout the school community
- Support the standard school curriculum, and assist in the implementation
of the International Baccalaureate and Dual Language programs
- Raise funding support for:
- Academic enrichment (test preparation, tutoring, etc.)
- Foreign Language instruction
- Lunch room monitors
- Information technology support
- Teacher stipends
- Student activities
- Classroom supplies, curriculum materials and supplies for extracurricular activities (including but not limited to the science fair and school dances)
- Childcare, pizza, drinks and janitorial expenses for PTA meetings
- Teacher Appreciation Week activities
- Music program instruments and maintenance
- Advocate for DCPS support for Shepherd programs
- Continuously improve the school appearance
- Recruit and retain volunteers to support the academic and programmatic activities
For the 2011-12 school year, EVERY Shepherd parent is in the PTA. If you are at a PTA meeting, you will automatically have a vote and a voice. There will be no membership dues, either! If you had ever thought of money – or anything – as a barrier to participating in the PTA in particular, or more fully in the life of the school in general, then your worries are over! The Mustang, the Shepherd Elementary Web site, and the PTA listserv will let you know of plenty of ways you can make Shepherd School – and our children’s educational experience better than ever.
In place of PTA membership dues and what had been known as the Family Enrichment Fee, the PTA has established the “180 Fund.” There are 180 instructional days in the school year. Parents, can you afford a dollar per day per child to improve Shepherd Elementary? We think you can, and we hope you’ll contribute to the 180 Fund. If your busy schedule prohibits you from participating in school fundraisers you can make a one-time contribution of $500 which will help support the PTA programs.
The SES PTA is a non-profit corporation in the District of Columbia and is designated by the IRS as a 501(c) (3) charitable organization. This means that any donation to the PTA is tax-deductible! Since 2003, the PTA has used its charitable organization status to encourage individuals, members, organizations and businesses to provide in-kind or financial support to the school in order to enhance Shepherd’s academic and enrichment offerings.
The PTA’s activities are many, guided by both the school’s needs and the talents of our parents. For a listing of initiatives click on PTA committee.
The Shepherd Elementary PTA generally meets the third Wednesday of every month (unless otherwise noted). The meetings start at 6:30 p.m. and are held in the school cafeteria. (Parent workshops and special-event activities sometimes pre-empt PTA meetings.) Although attendance at the PTA meetings is not required, we encourage all parents to attend. Childcare and refreshments are available during PTA meetings. (Refreshments for the children attending the PTA-provided childcare have a nominal cost; refreshments for adults attending the PTA meetings are complimentary.)