Join the Shepherd PTA Today!
Annual Dues: $20 per year, per family.
Shepherd Elementary’s Family Directory is Going Online!
Register Your Family Today
Every year the PTA publishes and prints a directory that includes all families in the Shepherd Elementary Community. We will be taking that directory online in 2017-2018 with MySchoolAnywhere.
Here are a few things you should know:
- There will be no charge for access to the online directory.
- Families will enter and manage their own data.
- An email address is the only requirement for registration.
- We hope to get every family signed up to have a complete directory.
Here are some of the benefits of an online directory:
- You can easily update and make changes to your account throughout the year.
- You control what contact information you want to share.
- New families to the district can be added mid-year.
- You will be able to sort the directory in many convenient ways, for example, by school, grade, teacher or even by a student’s first name within a particular grade or class.
- Each year, My School Anywhere will automatically “graduate” your child to the next grade. You can log in to update their teacher.
- This directory will have the capability to be printed.
- My School Anywhere ALSO HAS AN APP, which brings information to your fingertips!!!
READY TO REGISTER?
- Go to: join.myschoolanywhere.com
- Enter the invitation code: ShepherdPTA
- Follow the prompts and enter your information.
Please note, if there are two households involved for one child or siblings, both households can be listed in one account but one must be designated as the PRIMARY PARENT. The Primary Parent is the default parent in a family responsible for updating the family information. This parent will receive the confirmation email in preparation for back-to- school each year. Please coordinate with the other household as to who will be the primary.
Why Join Shepherd’s PTA??
Studies show that parental involvement plays a significant role in student achievement and performance. A strong parent group can make a tremendous difference in how a school functions. At Shepherd, we encourage all our families to join the Shepherd Elementary School Parent Teacher Association (SES PTA). It is a wonderful way to get to know the other great families in our school community. In addition, it serves as a vehicle for you to voice your opinion on important issues affecting your child’s learning environment.
To be a self-sustaining organization capable of providing resources needed to help Shepherd Elementary School achieve its social, cultural and academic goals.
To ensure that Shepherd Elementary becomes a top 5 school within DCPS by providing programs, resources, and activities that will enhance the instructional experience and promote academic excellence.
The role of the PTA is to:
- Encourage membership and participation by all families, teachers and other interested community members.
- Provide timely communications throughout the school community.
- Support the standard school curriculum and International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme.
- Raise funding support for:
- Academic enrichment (test preparation, tutoring, etc.)
- Lunch room monitors
- Information technology support
- Teacher stipends
- Student activities
- Classroom supplies, curriculum materials and supplies for extracurricular activities (including but not limited to the science fair and school dances)
- Childcare, pizza, drinks and janitorial expenses for PTA meetings
- Teacher Appreciation Week
- Music program instruments and maintenance
- Advocate for DCPS support for Shepherd programs.
- Continuously improve the school appearance.
- Recruit and retain volunteers to support the academic and programmatic activities.
For the 2017-18 school year, it is only $20 to join the PTA.
While PTA memberships dues are a modest $20 per family, annually; the 180 Fund gives those who might be able to contribute a bit more the opportunity to do that easily. The name comes from the required 180 instructional days per school year and the notion that all we’re asking for is one dollar per day. Please visit our Support page to learn more.
The PTA’s activities are many, guided by both the school’s needs and the talents of our parents.
The Shepherd Elementary PTA generally meets the third Wednesday of every month (unless otherwise noted). The meetings start at 6:30 p.m. and are usually held in the school gym/auditorium. (Parent workshops and special-event activities sometimes pre-empt PTA meetings.) Although attendance at the PTA meetings is not required, we encourage all members to attend. Free child care for Shepherd Students will be provided onsite for every PTA meeting.