Before you enroll your child, you are welcome to attend a scheduled Open House at the school. They usually occur in November and again in February or March. At that time, you will have the opportunity to discuss educational philosophies with the principal, ask questions, tour the facilities, and visit classes. Please contact the school to schedule a visit.
All parents must complete and return the DCPS School Enrollment Packet found HERE. For K-5, a My School DC application is only necessary for out-of-boundary students, in which case the DCPS out-of- boundary process applies. For PS3 and PK4, ALL DC families must apply for seats via the District of Columbia Public Schools (DCPS) school lottery. See the My School DC website for more information. (Note that you will be leaving the Shepherd website.)
At the time of enrollment, you need to bring:
- a copy of child’s birth certificate
- the child’s immunization record
- the child’s social security number
- a photo ID of the parent/guardian registering the child
- three proofs of residence
One (1) of the following documents is required to verify District of Columbia residency:
- Proof of payment of DC personal income tax
- A current withholding statement which contains the applicant’s name
- Current official documentation of financial assistance from the District government including, but not limited, to, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), housing assistance, or other programs, etc.
In addition, two or more of the following documents are required:
- a valid, unexpired DC motor vehicle operator’s permit, or non driver’s identification
- a vehicle registration showing parent’s or guardian’s name
- title to residential property in the District of Columbia, or valid, unexpired lease agreement receipts (for a period within two  months immediately preceding consideration of residency) for payment of rent on a District residence in which the applicant actually resides
- one (1) or more utility bills, and paid receipts or canceled checks from a period within the last two months.
You, in turn, will be given medical and dental forms for your child that need to be completed by your health care provider(s) and returned to school by the start of the new school year.
Shepherd Elementary School serves a specific community of families who reside within designated school boundaries established by the District of Columbia Public School system. Every child Kindergarten through Grade 5 and the maximum number of pre-kindergartners within these boundaries is welcome and encouraged to attend our school, which is designed to respond to this community’s needs and goals.
Students residing outside of Shepherd’s boundaries may enter their child into the My School DC lottery.
Applicants who do not reside in the District of Columbia will be charged tuition if they are accepted. Tuition bills will be sent to current non-resident students’ families as well.