Join the Shepherd PTA Today!
Free for 2018-2019
Why Join Shepherd’s PTA??
Studies show that parental involvement plays a significant role in student achievement and performance. A strong parent group can make a tremendous difference in how a school functions. At Shepherd, we encourage all our families to join the Shepherd Elementary School Parent Teacher Association (SES PTA). It is a wonderful way to get to know the other great families in our school community. In addition, it serves as a vehicle for you to voice your opinion on important issues affecting your child’s learning environment.
To be a self-sustaining organization capable of providing resources needed to help Shepherd Elementary School achieve its social, cultural and academic goals.
To ensure that Shepherd Elementary becomes a top 5 school within DCPS by providing programs, resources, and activities that will enhance the instructional experience and promote academic excellence.
The role of the PTA is to: Encourage membership and participation by all families, teachers and other interested community members.
- Provide timely communications throughout the school community.
- Support the standard school curriculum and International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme.
- Raise funds for:
- Academic enrichment (test preparation, tutoring, etc.)
- Support staff
- Information technology support
- Teacher stipends
- Student activities
- Classroom supplies, curriculum materials and supplies for extracurricular activities (including but not limited to the science fair and school dances)
- Childcare, pizza, drinks and janitorial expenses for PTA meetings
- Teacher Appreciation Week
- Music program instruments and maintenance
- Advocate for DCPS support for Shepherd programs.
- Continuously improve the school appearance.
- Recruit and retain volunteers to support the academic and programmatic activities.
While PTA membership is FREE this year, the 180 Fund gives those who might be able to contribute a bit more the opportunity to do that easily. The name comes from the required 180 instructional days per school year and the notion that all we’re asking for is one dollar per day. Please visit our https://www.shepherd-elementary.org/support-us/ page to learn more.
The PTA’s activities are many, guided by both the school’s needs and the talents of our parents.
The Shepherd Elementary PTA generally meets the third Wednesday of every month — but check our calendar because this can change with holidays and other quirks of the school year. The meetings start at 6:30 p.m. and are usually held in the school gym/auditorium. (Parent workshops and special-event activities sometimes pre-empt PTA meetings.) Although attendance at the PTA meetings is not required, we encourage all members and others in the school community to attend. Free child care for Shepherd Students will be provided onsite for every PTA meeting.
Meeting minutes & related materials
2018-2019 school year
September 5, 2018, membership meeting
- Sept. 5, 2018, approved minutes [PDF]
- Teacher PTA Request Form [MS Word]
- Agenda & draft budget [PDF]
October 17, 2018, membership meeting
November 14, 2018, membership meeting
- Nov. 14, 2018, approved minutes [PDF]
- Financial Handout November Meeting [PDF]
- 2017-2018 school year audit report [PDF]
- Slide deck from meeting [PDF]
December 19, 2018, membership meeting
January 16, 2019, membership meeting
- Jan. 16, 2019, approved minutes [PDF]
- Meeting agenda & important dates [PDF]
- Financial Handout January Meeting [PDF]
- Shepherd tutoring program handout [PDF]
February 27, 2019, membership meeting
- Feb. 27, 2019, approved minutes [PDF]
- March agenda — coming soon
- Financial handout — coming soon
March 20, 2019, membership meeting
April 24, 2019, membership meeting
May 15, 2019, membership meeting and election
- Financial Handout [PDF]
Between meetings, the PTA is overseen by the Executive Board, made up of the PTA’s officers as elected by the membership each spring.
The current PTA officers for the 2018-19 school year are:
President — Elizabeth Bradley
1st Vice President — Taryn Losch-Beridon
2nd Vice President — Allison Berg
Treasurer — Andrea Smith
Assistant Treasurer — vacant
Recording Secretary — Theo Francis
Corresponding Secretary — Karen Sloan