Walk to School Day!
Join Shepherd’s PTO and the Health and Wellness Committee along with students, parents, and staff for this “before school” event. Either walk from home along your customary route or meet us at one of the three meet-up locations to join a “walking school bus” led by volunteers.
The meet-up locations are:
- Marvin Caplan Park at the corner of Alaska Avenue and Holly Street NW – Group will leave promptly at 8:10 am.
- Shepherd Park Christian Church (*new walk to school day location*) at the corner of Eastern Avenue and 12th Street NW – Group will leave promptly at 8:10 am.
- Lowell Field at the corner of Kalmia Road and 17th Street NW – Group will leave promptly at 8:10 am.
There will be volunteers to greet students with water when they arrive at the school!
October 4th is picture day! Come dressed in your finest. Note: Students do not have to wear their uniforms to school that day, although they may if you want.
Fall Fest is Coming!
On Saturday, October 19th, Shepherd Elementary School will host its fall fundraiser – Fall Fest! The event will be held at the school from 12-4 pm. There will be food, music, and games. Look for information – coming soon – from your room parents! They will be asking for parents to sign up for shift that day. Tickets will be on sale soon!
Culture Club will begin on Friday, October 4th from 3:30-4:00 pm. This club is sponsored by Madame Gadie and Ms. Johnson and open to ALL (Spanish and French) students 2nd to 5th grade. (Only 15 spots available. First come, first served basis.)
Kindness Club – Update
Are you interested in joining The Kindness Club? This year, Kindness Club hopes to increase our impact in our school and community through initiatives such as morning greeters, recess patrol, decorating our school, acknowledging acts of kindness, and giving back to various charities. We still have five spots remaining for students in grades K-2, meeting Tuesday afternoons from 3:30-4:30 pm. Kindness Club for students in 3rd – 5th grade is at capacity.
If you wish to register your child, please complete the following Google Doc: Kindness Club Registration
We are looking for 6-8 self-motived and responsible students who are creative thinkers, risk-takers, and enthusiastic about Shepherd Elementary School. Using computers and digital cameras, Year Book Club members will have the opportunity to learn how to use our year book making software, take & upload digital pictures, and apply basic design/layout techniques to create a book of memories for all to enjoy.
The Year Book Club will only meet on the following dates, 3:20-4:20 pm:
- October 16, 2019
- November 20, 2019
- December 18, 2019
- January 15, 2020
- February 19, 2020
- March 18, 2020
- April 15, 2020
- May 20, 2020
If you are interested, please contact Mrs. Holt by Friday, October 4, 2019.
Local Educational Meetings of Interest
W3EdNet – Monday, October 7th at 7pm, Hearst Elementary School Library (3950 37th Street NW)
At this meeting, W3EdNet will welcome staff from DC Public Schools’ Office of Operations to talk about an update on renovation plans for schools in the Wilson Feeder pattern as well as other efforts to address overcrowding, and Erin Roth of the DC Auditor’s office to talk about their report on the use of At-Risk funds.
The Ward 3 – Wilson High School Feeder Pattern Education Network
(W3EdNet) is a group made up of PTO Board and LSAT members as well as other interested community members. We aim to work together to support schools in the Wilson feeder pattern, host community events of common interest, and advocate for better schools across the city.
Council Hearings on Jelleff Field — Monday, October 7th 11am at the John Wilson Building (1350 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, Room 500)
The DC Council is holding an oversight roundtable on the DC Department of Parks and Recreation’s recent contract with the Maret School concerning Jelleff field. Requests to testify are due by Friday, October 4. Please email RYA@dccouncil.us with your name, address, telephone number, organization affiliation, and title. You may also submit testimony in writing.
The Council announced: “The purpose of the roundtable is to conduct oversight regarding the Department of Parks and Recreation’s approval of contract that provides access to the Jelleff Recreation Center for the Maret School during afterschool hours for the next ten years. There has been significant community need for additional field access by the recreation center, neighboring public schools, and the community at large. Community stakeholders provided considerable input expressing their desire for the Department of Parks and Recreation to not renew the use agreement with the Maret School.”
Ward 3 Democrats – Tuesday, October 22nd at 7pm, Forest Hills of DC (4901 Connecticut Ave. NW)
Ward 3 Dems will host the Deputy Mayor of Education, Paul Kihn, and Chancellor of DC Public Schools, Lewis Ferebee to speak and answer questions.
The Ward 3 Democratic Committee is the official arm of the Democratic Party in Ward 3. The purpose of the Committee is to elect and support Democratic candidates for local and national office; and to provide an issues forum for Democratic voters in Ward 3 and the community.
Reminder of Upcoming Dates:
- Wednesday, October 2nd – Walk to School Day
- Friday, October 4th – Picture Day and World Language Information Session on Friday, October 4th from 8:00-8:40 am in the Library with Madame Gadie and Mr. Hernandez
- Friday, October 4th – First Culture Club meeting of the school year
- Monday, October 7th – Ward 3 Education Meeting
- Friday, October 11th – Parent/Teacher Conferences, no school for students
- October 15-19th – Book Fair
- Wednesday, October 16th – LSAT meeting – 4:30 pm
- Wednesday, October 16th – PTA meeting – 6:30 pm
- Friday, October 18th – All School Morning Meeting – 8:40 am
- Saturday, October 19th – Fall Fest – 12-4 pm
- Wednesday, October 23rd – Open House for Prospective Parents – 9-10 am
- Sunday, October 27th – Family Photo Shoot PTA Fundraiser
- Tuesday, October 29th – Blue 44 Restaurant Night
- Thursday, October 31st – SPCA Halloween Parade (lower field)